Blog Index
The journal that this archive was targeting has been deleted. Please update your configuration.

George and Betty Jackson

The Jacksons first met Derek Prince in Florida on the eve of the Six-day War in 1967. His teaching enabled them to comfort many of their Jewish neighbors in the midst of the war. They travelled to Israel with Derek and Lydia not long after that initial meeting. In the following years, they have returned to Israel on many occasions—as tour hosts, teachers and students at the Jerusalem University College.

Today, as Directors of Derek Prince Israel, the Jacksons reside in Jerusalem one-half of the year, serving as Directors of Derek Prince Israel and faithfully carrying Derek’s teaching to the Households and believing congregations of Israel.

George and Betty Jackson have been actively involved in ministry for more than forty years through many venues—church planting, writing, international outreach. A theme has persisted, helping people find freedom though the power of Jesus Christ.

Dr. Jackson graduated from the University of Missouri, School of Veterinary Medicine. His veterinary practice granted the Jacksons an authoritative platform for faith in the business community.

God’s faithfulness in expanding their ministry has been a consistent attribute of their faith journey. They initiated a home Bible study, which resulted in the birth of a church in 1980. Today, World Outreach Church welcomes 6,000 congregants each weekend


It was a beautiful spring day on May 4, 1965 in Columbia, Missouri where I was preparing for graduation from the University of Missouri, School of Veterinary Medicine. I was at the school that day to take my National Board Examination with truly great expectations for the future.

Betty Jackson with Lydia Prince in JerusalemSimultaneously, Betty—pregnant with our third child—drove herself to the Boone County Hospital for a Cesarean Section delivery scheduled for early the following morning. Our doctor met Betty there with serious news: her medical tests had revealed breast cancer. This was not a surprise since this diagnosis had been a possibility during her first two pregnancies. However, the gravity of the prognosis was tremendous; Betty had only six months to live.

Betty and I had both grown up in Christian homes and had attended church all of our lives. We were not only married in the Methodist Church but had further been active there for the first ten years of our married life—even spear-heading the youth ministry. It was only at that pivotal point in 1965, however, that God began to have an impact on our lives. Immediately following the doctor’s prognosis, Betty realized that she did not know where she would spend eternity. In our Sunday School Class, we had been told that there was no heaven and no hell. We also learned that there was no such thing as Daniel in the Lion’s Den—it was just a story that never really happened. We were not spiritually prepared for the events that were unfolding.

In the midst of all this, we contacted Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota where my Dad had recently been a patient. They concurred with the doctors at Boone County Hospital and recommended we come immediately for surgery. Therefore, when baby Doyle was just nine days old, we drove to the airport to board the plane for Mayo Clinic. Betty sat in the backseat of the car with our oldest son, Allen. When we stood on the runway waiting to board the plane Allen squeezed his mother’s hand, looked up into her face, and said, “Please hurry Mommy, I can’t make it much longer without you.” Her heartbreak was beyond description.

Once airborne, again reading the physicians’ report, Betty bowed her head and said a prayer:

“If there is a God, please let me know the truth before I die so that I might tell it to my children.”

She simply could not understand—“If there is a God, why are there Methodists, Baptists, Catholics, and Jews, and why can’t we all be one?”

Upon arrival to Mayo Clinic, Betty was admitted to St. Mary’s Hospital where she was in turn examined by five different departments. Their findings were in one accord and were astounding—Betty was cancer free! Betty asked the attending doctor, “Did the physicians in Columbia make a mistake?”He simply patted her on the head and said, “No, we see it every day (miracles) — go home and take care of your babies.”

With a world of weight off my heart, I subsequently graduated from the School of Veterinary Medicine and accepted an equine position on the racetrack with Dr. M. B. Teigland, in Miami, Florida. Thereafter, with our two older boys and one-month-old baby, we moved from Missouri to Miami. Once settled in there, we returned to the Methodist Church where we met a Sunday School teacher, a pilot with National Airlines, who told us about Jesus Christ. He plainly told us:

“The Bible is true, and Jesus is who He says He is.”

One morning after church, we stopped by their home and knelt in their living room around the coffee table. There, Bud and Dot Cobb led us in a simple prayer of salvation:

I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God.
I believe He died on the cross for my sins.
I am a sinner—I need a Savior.
Jesus, I invite you into my life to be my Savior and my Lord.

A few days after this, Betty was giving the boys lunch and cleaning up the kitchen. At a certain moment, she heard a voice through the ceiling:

“You said, ‘let me know the truth before I die.’”

She looked up, and with her dishcloth in her hand, she said,

“Yes, I did say that.”

The voice answered:

“I am the Way, the Truth and the Life.”

She ran for her new Bible and found these to be the words of Jesus Himself. She then knew the truth — it was not being a Methodist, Baptist, Catholic, or a Jew that would transform her life for eternity, but rather, it was knowing Jesus Christ as her Savior and Lord.

From that point forward, we were so dramatically changed by the work of the Holy Spirit in our hearts and minds that we knelt each day at the foot of our bed, and prayed,

“God, please don’t let us waste our lives.”

On June 10, 1967, we found ourselves in Murfreesboro, Tennessee where I opened an Equine Practice, and where we began a home Bible Study. Twelve years later, with encouragement from Derek and Lydia, on Easter Sunday in 1980, we raised the bar and organized a church—World Outreach Church. We launched the congregation with about 29 worshippers, and the church has continued to grow steadily, now numbering about six thousand people on the weekend.

During those many years, God was not only at work in our lives, but He also called each of our little boys individually to Himself in their very early years. Later, when they had completed certain levels of education, He called each of them into the ministry. Allen and Phillip both graduated from Oral Roberts University, Vanderbilt University, and studied at Hebrew University in Jerusalem. Doyle graduated from the University of Tennessee, Gordan-Conwell Theological Seminary in Boston, and Jerusalem University College in Jerusalem. We now have three wonderful daughters-in-law, and three grandchildren. Allen and Kathy live in Murfreesboro, where Allen is the Senior Pastor at World Outreach. Phillip, Angela, and little Sarah Grace live in Murfreesboro, where Phillip is the Associate Pastor for World Outreach. Doyle, Jennifer and their two sons, Aaron and Peter, live in Columbus, Ohio where Doyle is the Senior Pastor at The Church Next Door.